I loved Korea as a child. My middle school art teacher Ok-ji Radda was 1st generation Korean. She taught me art from 5th to 8th grade. In 6th grade we had "school culture day". She dressed me in her very own Hanbok for me to wear to the library during the celebration. It was cream, gold and spring green, with lots of embroidery. It was beautiful! She was wonderful and taught us many global arts including Korean "ink brush painting". She told us her father was a national calligrapher in some part of Korea (I can't remember where now). She was very influential. I ended up going to college for Fine Arts, my school was connected to our major metropolitan art museum, I saw her there one day, she was volunteering giving tours, maybe she was a museum docent? We hugged, and told her I was a fine arts student with a split major of graphic arts and print making. I told her how she had given me my foundation in art, and that I always admired her.
As a child I also took very strict and very traditional Tae Kwon Do for many years. There I was introduced to Korean attitudes about sportsmanship, and Korean values for personal growth (as a little kid)! I was also introduced to the language. It was more serious than lessons are now for children (we attended 5 days a week). We punched the floors, ran bare footed on the side walks to build callouses on our knuckles and soles of our feet. I learned to love the Korean sprit of martial arts and it's connection to character and personal discipline. I'm thinking of taking it up again, my instructors still teach so I hear.
One day in 7th grade Mrs. Radda'a parents were visiting her from Korea, she told us her parents were in their 80's and spoke no english. The girl I was sitting next to, Heather, also studied Tae Kwon Do with me. As Mrs. Radda's parents left our class room to go to our teacher's home they smiled and waved good bye to us kids, Heather a spry red head said "Should we do it? Say thanks?" As the darling elderly couple left the class of smiling and waving 7th graders, we in unison said "Gomsahapnida!!". The look on their faces-priceless! Mrs. Radda said "You didn't tell me you could speak any Korean!?!?" We giggled and said "You never asked."
Now I love Korea through honoring my children and their heritage. I have been to Korea and have continued my love of the Land of the Morning Calm.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment