Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What an adventure!

Last night I went to dinner with a Holt Forum pal from NJ! We had a great time. Staying in my hotel, 2 rooms down is a young man in his late 20's from Paris. He is a Korean adult adoptee, hoping to meet his birth family later today. He also joined us for dinner. Here we were, a west coast AP, an east coast AP, a Parisian adoptee, eating Korean food in Seoul in a restaurant run by Chinese Koreans! LOVE IT!!!! I am up at 3 a.m. writing this. I have a rockin' stomach ache! Lots of "gochujang" (Korean red pepper paste), raw garlic, and a Twix bar are fighting in my tummy! Weak American! I think the raw garlic is the main culprit.....
Holt Korea is rolling out the red carpet for me tomorrow. I will get to go to my child's birth city in the south of South Korea. I will get to meet the Holt social worker there and possibly meet Ji-uk's first foster mother. I am so amazed. I would have been happy just to have lunch there and do a little bit of shopping. Sounds like it will be an adventure to remember for a lifetime. I'll post all about it when I return. I think it's a 3 hour train ride...so don't wait up ;). No, I leave at 10 a.m....just trying to be funny- jet lag.
I also earned an extra meeting with Ji-uk. That will be on Thursday. Ji-uk is not fond of me. I'm like the "Little Mermaid" over here I have 3 days to get him to like me!!! So far he likes the toys and snacks, but not me.....I'll just have to get more toys and more snacks! It'd work on me!
Wish me luck as I take on Gwangju City!

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry, Holly. We only dislike things we don't know and don't understand. Unfortunately, you fall in both categories.....but not for long!! You are one rockin' mama he'll find out soon enough.

    Thanks for blogging. Enjoy your trip today. Can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful that you get to visit your son's birth city! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I hope the visit to the birth city is everything you hope for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your trip! You're making me miss Korea!!!

    ReplyDelete